The next step from our Practical Projects™ workshop, this gives you a complete toolkit for delivering results in a planned, measured and organised way.
Practice how you use vital tools and techniques to build the skills required to manage and deliver projects. This workshop:
- Teaches key techniques in scoping; planning using critical path analysis; risk analysis; resource management and change control.
- Provides a framework, templates and recognised techniques* for setting-up, executing and closing-out projects.
- Develops an understanding of key roles and responsibilities of stakeholders including the Project Manager, Sponsor and team members.
Who is it for?
Anyone who has attended Practical Projects™, and:
- Needs more than just the fundamentals, or;
- Are expected to provide structure and best practice back in the workplace, or;
- Are preparing to sit their first professional project management qualification or examination.
Also, project deliverers with 3+ years' project management experience with no formal training, or looking for a refresher.
What’s it all about?
This workshop concentrates on practice. Delegates will have been exposed to the project environment, whether role-based or off the side of their desk. Now being expected to deliver something more formal or high profile, with a structured and professional recognised approach.
It's day two of our popular two-day Project Management Survival Guide™, we recommend taking either the two-day programme (for the complete project management toolkit) or splitting the course by initially attending Practical Projects™ with Managing Projects™. Options for customising delivery and content are available through our in-house delivery option.
It builds on existing knowledge and utilises Association for Project Management (APM) best practice frameworks, tools and templates. Introducing a common language and approach for the team and organisation, which research (PWC Global Survey 2012) proves elevates project success levels.
What will you get out of it?
Concentrating on practice, this workshop will enable you to deliver something more formal or high profile, with a structured and professionally recognised approach. You will be:
- Equipped with a full toolkit that you have practised using in a risk-free environment.
- More effective with your time.
- More confident in your chances of success and ability to mitigate risks effectively.
It is delivered by an APM qualified, experienced Project Manager, with many years experience of training and facilitation. You'll gain an overview of the whole process and focus in on some of the most useful and user-friendly project management techniques.
Typical workshop content
- Interactive case studies, hands-on team activities and role-play are used throughout the workshop to embed learning and practice skills.
- Defining and understanding the business context of projects and project management.
- Utilising the Association for Project Management (APM) project lifecycle and associated templates for planning and managing your project.
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of a sponsor, steering group, Project Manager and associated team roles.
- Working with your sponsor (and/or steering group) to plan from the outset using the ‘business case’.
- Understanding benefits management, success criteria and factors, KPI’s, effective tracking and reporting.
- Developing and managing scope.
- Utilising effective change control and resource management.
- Using the techniques of milestone planning, critical path analysis and risk management to inform stakeholder decisions.
- Using effective stakeholder analysis and management techniques to develop communication plans and to manage upwards.
- Managing the process of issue escalation and resolution.
- Using stage/gate review techniques to shape outcomes and drive quality solutions.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
*Managing Projects™ is aligned to the Association for Project Management (APM) current Body Of Knowledge (BOK).
It also counts towards your CPD recognition with leading professional bodies or trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
Open workshop dates
Indigo workshops help you harness improvement and innovation to deliver tangible benefits to your business. Our workshops can be combined to provide a total solution for your company – bringing real improvements to every step of the business process.
You can reserve a place on this course for £495 pp + VAT.
20 September 2017
29 November 2017
An in-house workshop is ideal for training teams and departments. They are the easiest way of training many delegates, making the most of your budget and reducing the need for costly delegate travel. In-house workshops typically result in a 50% saving per delegate cost, when compared to our open workshops.
Delegate places are available at £230 pp + VAT.