de Bono’s Six Thinking Hats®
de Bono's internationally renowned decision-making, idea evaluation and meeting management workshop. It transforms thinking and communication, as well as halving meeting times and doubling their effectiveness.
Dr Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats® is a globally renowned tool that will change the way your team thinks and communicates - with real effect and impact. With the Six Thinking Hats®, you will learn how to:
- Halve meeting times and double their effectiveness.
- Shift your thinking (and others) from negative to positive; and from emotional reactions to facts within seconds.
- Identify solutions and tackle problems in a timely and cost efficient way.
The Six Hats® approach reduces adversarial thinking and encourages clearer, more effective thinking and idea development.
Maximise your training budget
Early, multiple booking and charity discounts available, find out more...
Six Hats® helps to solve
How it helps
Do you hear people complaining about meetings, meetings and more meetings? Hours upon hours spent debating issues, with very few positive outcomes or problems solved? Often, in this environment, creativity and innovation are stifled and people fear speaking out.
The approach eradicates situations like this, leading organisations to more effective idea generation and decision making through the use of Parallel Thinking. Read more about unproductive meetings.
My opinion is not valid/I knew that was going to fail.
Using Six Thinking Hats® in group situations not only breaks down the way attendees think, it helps to ensure that all attendees have their say and isolates personal agendas – meaning solutions are reached efficiently with consensus and less conflict.
We always concentrate on the negative.
The approach gives disruptive influencers a voice, forcing them to look at different aspects of a challenge, so that they can identify a positive outcome and reduce negative focus.
We always come up with the same ideas.
You may be getting ideas that are fantastic, but undeliverable, this approach provides techniques to develop implementable ideas without stifling creative thinking.
There is too much conflict.
The approach will provide a clear structure and a defined focus to any discussion or problem-solving requirement. It empowers everyone to think in the same way, at the same time, preventing adversarial behaviours and lack of decision-making.
Who is it for?
Anyone who wants to improve team-working, hold more productive meetings, generate new ideas and solve problems faster. It will be especially beneficial to the following groups:
- Project/strategy teams.
- Departmental managers and their teams.
- Managers and executives who require greater levels of innovation and creativity.
- Individual contributors and teams working in highly competitive or changing environments.
What's it all about?
During the workshop, you will:
- Learn to use different approaches to business problems.
- Explore all aspects of each situation and generate alternatives that go far beyond obvious solutions.
- Separate fact from opinion.
- Look fully at both positive and negative options and expose hidden agendas that can sabotage any meeting.
- Learn how to stimulate innate creativity.
- Learn how to turn seemingly insoluble problems into real opportunities.
- Leave the workshop with skills that they have practised and can apply immediately on return to the workplace.
The workshop includes a mix of teaching and practical exercises. You will work in small groups with continual support from the trainer, who has been certified by de Bono Thinking Systems (Edward de Bono's officially accrediting organisation) to deliver the workshop. The practical materials have been developed by Dr Edward de Bono personally, and each delegate is supplied with a comprehensive workbook to provide ongoing reinforcement of the techniques learnt.
What will you get out of it?
Dr Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats® system is a simple and powerful tool. It will change the way your team thinks by teaching creative problem-solving skills. You and your team will learn how to:
- Lead shorter, more productive meetings.
- Look at decisions and problems systematically.
- Generate more and better ideas.
- Improve team results.
- Reduce conflict.
You will understand and learn:
- The nature of thinking.
- Why we need to change our behaviour.
- Why argument is inadequate.
- Introducing the Six Thinking Hats®.
- Why very little new thinking is accomplished at meetings.
- Tools and techniques focusing on each hat.
Using the Six Hats®:
- Single use of the Six Hats.
- Systematic use of the Six Hats.
- Frameworks for structuring meetings and focusing thinking.
- How to turn disagreements into positive contributions.
- Techniques for opportunity thinking.
- Programming meetings for a successful outcome.
- Creating the action plan.
The Six Thinking Hats®:
The White Hat
The Red Hat
The Black Hat
The Yellow Hat
The Green Hat
The Blue Hat
Duration and delivery methods available
Public workshop - open to all:
- As a 1 day open public face-to-face, throughout the the UK.
- As a 1 day online learning workshop.
- Flexible options to deliver your workshop face-to-face, online or a mix of the two.
Training for trainers
Accrediting your own trainers is the most cost-effective way to offer Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats® within your organisation or to your clients. After attending the workshop as a delegate, you or your in-house trainers will be taught by some of Indigo’s globally recognised Master Trainers, who have been specially authorised to train these programmes to other trainers, to the highest standard. Once successful, you will be authorised to dovetail our award-winning programmes into your organisations training plans, at a fraction of the normal cost.
- Find out more about the public Trainer Accreditation.
- Find out more about the steps you need to take to become an Accredited Trainer.
- Enquire about training for trainers.
Indigo Business Services is proud to be a:
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
Six Thinking Hats® can count towards your CPD recognition with leading professional bodies and trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
- Article: Change Is Inevitable...
- Article: Is Innovation A Part Of Your Culture?
- Article: Ideas On-Demand: Fresh Ideas, Fast = Competitive Advantage...
- Article: Where Do You Do Your Best Thinking?
- Article: Will Your Idea Work?
- Unproductive meetings.
Our most popular workshops are open to all and are ideal for individuals, smaller groups and those reviewing workshops before wider roll out. Delivered in major cities throughout the UK to small groups and online through our virtual learning plaforms.
- Face-to-face classroom workshops - provide the best in-depth and exercise-packed experience. They are delivered between 9am and 5pm. Our venues are all located close to major public transport hubs. Delegates will receive a printed workbook and peripherals.
We are determined to work with public workshop venues that provide the safest possible environment – the latest updates to what we are doing in conjunction with our partners can be found at: https://www.indigobusiness.co.uk/Workshops/calendar/Public-Workshop-Health-And-Safety-For-Delegates
- Virtual learning sessions (0900-1700 UK Time) - highly interactive online modular delivery, using the Zoom platform (free to download and use at www.zoom.us/meetings). You will require access to a PC/Mac/tablet and internet connection, you will require a webcam, speakers/headphones and to enable your microphone, or you can simply dial in on your phone.
The format will be similar to face-to-face classroom workshops, we always cover a core programme. It is delivered using interactive group learning sessions, lots of practice, group and individual feedback and 1-2-1 trainer coaching. We combine this with screen and document sharing, polls, interactive whiteboards and breakout rooms. Delegates are given 12 months access to an online workbook that can be used interactively. Printed workbooks are available at additional cost.
You can reserve a place on this workshop up to £485pp + VAT.
20 January 2021
4 March 2021
16 March 2021
Our in-house delivery option gives you the flexibility to train teams, groups and departments. Reducing delegate travel, training cost and environmental impact - as we train at your choice of location or online, in the UK or internationally. Options for tailoring content are available.
Prices quoted are based on 15 delegates per event:
- Face-to-face classroom workshops - typically result in a 50% cost saving per delegate, when compared to our open public workshops. Delegates will receive a printed workbook and peripherals.
- Virtual learning sessions - delivered as highly interactive modular sessions. We can delver using the Zoom platform (free to download and use at www.zoom.us/meetings) or your own learning platform.Virtual workshops require access to a PC/Mac/tablet and internet connection, a webcam, speakers/headphones and enabled microphone, or attendees can simply dial in on their phone.
The format will be similar to face-to-face classroom workshops, we always cover a core programme. It is delivered using interactive group learning sessions, lots of practice, group and individual feedback and 1-2-1 trainer coaching. We combine this with screen and document sharing, polls, interactive whiteboards and breakout rooms. Delegates are given 12 months access to an online workbook that can be used interactively, unless otherwise requested by the client). Printed workbooks are available at additional cost.
Delegate places are available at from £265pp + VAT.