de Bono’s Six Thinking Hats®
de Bono's internationally renowned decision-making, idea evaluation and meeting management workshop. It transforms thinking and communication, as well as halving meeting times and doubling their effectiveness.
Dr Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats® is a globally renowned tool that will change the way your team thinks and communicates - with real effect and impact. With the Six Thinking Hats®, you will learn how to:
- Halve meeting times and double their effectiveness.
- Shift your thinking (and others) from negative to positive; and from emotional reactions to facts within seconds.
- Identify solutions and tackle problems in a timely and cost efficient way.
The Six Hats® approach reduces adversarial thinking and encourages clearer, more effective thinking and idea development.
Six Hats® helps to solve
How it helps
Do you hear people complaining about meetings, meetings and more meetings? Hours upon hours spent debating issues, with very few positive outcomes or problems solved? Often, in this environment, creativity and innovation are stifled and people fear speaking out.
The approach eradicates situations like this, leading organisations to more effective idea generation and decision making through the use of Parallel Thinking. Read more about unproductive meetings.
My opinion is not valid/I knew that was going to fail.
Using Six Thinking Hats® in group situations not only breaks down the way attendees think, it helps to ensure that all attendees have their say and isolates personal agendas – meaning solutions are reached efficiently with consensus and less conflict.
We always concentrate on the negative.
The approach gives disruptive influencers a voice, forcing them to look at different aspects of a challenge, so that they can identify a positive outcome and reduce negative focus.
We always come up with the same ideas.
You may be getting ideas that are fantastic, but undeliverable, this approach provides techniques to develop implementable ideas without stifling creative thinking.
There is too much conflict.
The approach will provide a clear structure and a defined focus to any discussion or problem-solving requirement. It empowers everyone to think in the same way, at the same time, preventing adversarial behaviours and lack of decision-making.
Who is it for?
Anyone who wants to improve team-working, hold more productive meetings, generate new ideas and solve problems faster. It will be especially beneficial to the following groups:
- Project/strategy teams.
- Departmental managers and their teams.
- Managers and executives who require greater levels of innovation and creativity.
- Individual contributors and teams working in highly competitive or changing environments.
What's it all about?
During the workshop, you will:
- Learn to use different approaches to business problems.
- Explore all aspects of each situation and generate alternatives that go far beyond obvious solutions.
- Separate fact from opinion.
- Look fully at both positive and negative options and expose hidden agendas that can sabotage any meeting.
- Learn how to stimulate innate creativity.
- Learn how to turn seemingly insoluble problems into real opportunities.
- Leave the workshop with skills that they have practised and can apply immediately on return to the workplace.
The workshop includes a mix of teaching and practical exercises. You will work in small groups with continual support from the trainer, who has been certified by Dr de Bono to deliver the course. The workshop materials have been developed by Dr Edward de Bono personally, and each delegate is supplied with a comprehensive workbook to provide ongoing reinforcement of the techniques learnt.
What will you get out of it?
Dr Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats® system is a simple and powerful tool. It will change the way your team thinks by teaching creative problem-solving skills. You and your team will learn how to:
- Lead shorter, more productive meetings.
- Look at decisions and problems systematically.
- Generate more and better ideas.
- Improve team results.
- Reduce conflict.
You will understand and learn:
- The nature of thinking.
- Why we need to change our behaviour.
- Why argument is inadequate.
- Introducing the Six Thinking Hats®.
- Why very little new thinking is accomplished at meetings.
- Tools and techniques focusing on each hat.
Using the Six Hats®:
- Single use of the Six Hats.
- Systematic use of the Six Hats.
- Frameworks for structuring meetings and focusing thinking.
- How to turn disagreements into positive contributions.
- Techniques for opportunity thinking.
- Programming meetings for a successful outcome.
- Creating the action plan.
The Six Thinking Hats®:
The White Hat
The Red Hat
The Black Hat
The Yellow Hat
The Green Hat
The Blue Hat
Duration and delivery methods available
Indigo Business Services is proud to be a:
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
Six Thinking Hats® can count towards your CPD recognition with leading professional bodies and trade organisations. You can normally record your attendance in the 'organised learning' or 'self-learning' sections. Please check with your membership organisation for more information.
- Article: Change Is Inevitable...
- Article: Is Innovation A Part Of Your Culture?
- Article: Ideas On-Demand: Fresh Ideas, Fast = Competitive Advantage...
- Article: Where Do You Do Your Best Thinking?
- Article: Will Your Idea Work?
- Unproductive meetings.
Open workshop dates
Indigo workshops help you harness improvement and innovation to deliver tangible benefits to your business. Our workshops can be combined to provide a total solution for your company – bringing real improvements to every step of the business process.
You can reserve a place on this course for £485pp + VAT.
18 September 2017
3 October 2017
14 November 2017
An in-house workshop is ideal for training teams and departments. They are the easiest way of training many delegates, making the most of your budget and reducing the need for costly delegate travel. In-house workshops typically result in a 50% saving per delegate cost, when compared to our open workshops.
Delegate places are available at £230pp + VAT.